Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Goin' on 6!! PLUS I can't believe I forgot to menion!!

This email is really 3 emails.. so keep reading past the pictures!!!

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Goin' on 6!!
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:45:53 -0500
From: Brett Hogg 

Well its transfer news day!!

IM STAYING! 6 months in The Cliff baby! Since President Dalton got here transfers are kind of screwy, it used to be more rare to be in an area for 6 months (4 transfers) but its been more common lately. Also alot of people being doubled out of areas (both people transferring out), also a lot of one-and-dones (1 transfer)... like Elder Gibson!! Hes leaving! We don't know where yet. We'll let you know.

Other than that we got a really cool bible referral with a lady that always wondered why there were so many churches, so shes promising. Otherwise the rest of our promising people are 9+ unbaptized kids who we have started working with. Otherwise a pretty slow week.

This just in, I'M GOING TO BE A DAD!! Im training!! I get to figure out who he is tomorrow! Keep a look out on the facebook page! Wish I could think of more to say, but I cant think of anything else!!

From Mom: Don't panic... being a "dad" means you get to train a new missionary. So for the next 6 weeks, Brett's companion will be a "greenie"! 

Love you guys! 
Elder Hogg

Also there's an Eclipse today! Here's what it looks like lol. We don't have the glasses unfortunately.
(Note from Mom... you can tell he's not near the news.. haha.  He's telling us there's going to be an eclipse like we hadn't heard about it.)

See eclipse in box.. it's tiny!  

Picture of the eclipse.. haha

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Oh my gosh!! I cant believe I forgot to mention!!
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:56:51 -0500
From: Brett Hogg

I got to baptize three kids this Saturday!! They're 11, 11 (they're twins), and 10. 

They're the Hermanas converts, but everyone else in their branch was out of town, so between this one other guy and the person who interviewed them (me), they chose the guy that interviewed them. 

I had to learn the baptism prayer in spanish, and it went really well! Well....  until the 3rd one, first his hand didn't go all the way under, then I kept saying the prayer wrong. You have to accent the beginning of "te bautizo", because if you accent the end of it, its past tense and you have to do it again. After 20 tries I got it and It was really cool. I debated whether or not to wear the jumpsuit or my white tie and pants. Elder Watkins always wore the same thing as the baptizee, so that's what I did. Anyway it was a really cool experience!

Note: We baptize by immersion - just like Jesus was! Since he was our example - we should do it the same way. So.. there are a couple witnesses of make sure the person gets fully immersed. If not - then we say the prayer again and do it again!  In English, it's the following:
I, (name of baptizer), having been commissioned of Jesus Christ I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
Of course - it is specifically done in the language that the person speaks... hence, Brett doing it in Spanish.. and it has to be done correctly.  I think the "20 tries" might have been exaggeration... haha.  I hope! 







No comments:

Post a Comment