Monday, July 30, 2018

¡Mesquite Turkey!

From Mom: He didn't mention turkey in his email - so I'm not sure why the subject was that. BUT this was his first week in his new area of Mesquite, Texas!!

Subject: ¡Mesquite Turkey!
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 16:52:54 -0500
From: Brett Hogg 


Well friends I'm back! Back amongst my people, and back in my native tongue. Not really, I've forgotten how to speak Spanish lol. But the gift of tongues is 100% real, sometimes I just say things, and I'm like "I didn't know I knew that!" I love Hispanics, wayyyy nicer than white people. Glad I'm not white 👱🏾‍♂️. Also the food! We've eaten so much!

We share the ward with another set of missionaries, split North and South. Us in the north on bikes and the South in car. The ward goes almost to downtown Dallas, Mesquite and all the way to Kaufman. Pleasant Grove is in our Ward, an area akin to Oak Cliff, in that it like a borough of Dallas, and it's super sketchy, some say even more so! The members are awesome and hispanic!

It's kind of funny, I'm with Elder Wyatt, another tall guy with glasses, and the other companionship is Elder Cano-Flowers and Elder Per, two Chapines (Guatemalans) lol. Elder Cano grew up in LA, but Elder Per is like FROM Guatemala, like hes learning English. What's cool is that he not only speaks Spanish but also a Mayan dialect! It's sounds like Arabic lol. He came from a village of 2500 people, and 1500 of them are Mormon! lol. We asked him about what he thought about America, and he said "there are machines for everything!" Like washing clothes, drying, washing dishes, blending, etc. Hes awesome. Next week I'll send a recording of him reading the Book of Mormon in Mayan.

We have been seeing small miricles, running into lost sheep (members that nobody knew were living here), referals etc. We need them though becuase all the people that were being taught here got baptized! They've had like 10 baptisms since May, and like 15 since the start of the year. And they're all great. All the recent converts here are super cool and have awesome testimonies. 

Not a whole lot of headway other wise, it's just been crazy just trying to figure out who everybody is!

Love you all!
Elder Hogg

This is a picture of Brett with his former companion, Elder Tornow.

No comments:

Post a Comment