Sunday, September 30, 2018

Update from Mom

Hi everyone!

This post is just from Sue (a.k.a. Mom) of Brett. I wanted to update everyone on his coming home status and how things are going from here!

We couldn't be prouder of Brett. Just to name a few things, he's taught, baptized, confirmed, learned, stacked hay, sorted chickens, collected bullets, eaten goat and tongue and other odd things.  He's been an inspiration to members of the Church, fellow missionaries, kids, and of course, those not of our faith. He's interacted with people from all cultures - including Indian/Hindu, Marshallese, Chinese, Guatemalan, Hondurans, Mexicans, Cubans, Venezuelans and more (I know I'm missing some)!  He's met some Hogg family there that live in Texas (Sheila & Linda) and he's served everywhere in the Texas Dallas mission boundaries from the inner-city to the most rural areas, from walking to bike to car to truck, and from fluent Spanish to English. 😎

The coolest thing is that Brett has been allowed (and/or asked - we aren't sure) to extend his mission. He was originally supposed to come home the first week of September and he was then going to come home on October 17th.  Right after I got his flight itinerary - I received another email... "So I might have the option of extending to the end of November.."  😵

We emailed back and forth to be sure he's doing this for the right reasons - and I emailed him back with our "blessing" and recognizing he is a grown man (he's almost 24) and he would know better than we would.  So... We got a new flight itinerary for November 28th. Not long afterwards, I had received a sweet email from one of his former companions - that is nothing short of amazing. I also heard from the Dad of another former companion that expressed his love for Elder Hogg and all that he did for his son. 🙏

Yes - Brett will miss Thanksgiving, but we couldn't be more thankful for everyone that has been there for us and for him! People that feed my son, send packages, emails and the mission presidents that he has served with couldn't be more amazing!!  

Then... we got another email where there is a goal/initiative set for December 1st and those coming home on November 28th will have the option to fly home on December 3rd. 😲 We will find out closer to the end of November if that will happen - so we aren't sure yet.

We miss our missionary - and we have also heard that extensions - especially twice - NEVER happen. He must be on the Lord's errand.. and he must be needed.  Usually mission presidents don't allow it because rules are rules. haha. But he's always been one to break the rules - but in a good way. 😍


Once we get a final date - we will post it on Facebook so anyone who wants to welcome him at the airport or come to his homecoming are welcomed to do so! Thank you for reading our nearly-four-year adventure in the life of a missionary!

I have a testimony of this work.. and know that it was told by Christ that the Gospel would be preached to all the world and in their own tongue. Christ was the example of this as he traveled and preached and served - so as it is today for those that follow Him. That work is done in different ways - and Brett has chosen to serve him with a full-time mission. No other experience can replace this experience for him.. and I believe he will be a better servant of Christ throughout his life, but also a better husband, father, employee (or politician or business owner). 

As a convert to the Church, I will never forget the missionaries that taught my family - Sisters Larsen and Fillerup. They answered the long questions I had about Christ and God being separate beings (why does Christ talk to Father throughout his time on Earth, or we hear from God at Christ's baptism, etc) and what did Christ intend for us today? I was only 14 at the time - and encouraged by my parents to NOT get baptized until I was 18. But I was baptized anyway because I knew it was right for me. I had already studied and attended several churches at that point and knew my Savior. I wanted to join the church that was most like the original church of Jesus Christ and feel that I have found it.

So that's just a few notes from Mom and why we do what we do. Love all of you that follow along and enjoy this journey with us!!

Sue

Sister Fillerup (now Dunford) & Sue meet for dinner.. about 35 years after her mission and teaching our family in 1981 in Hayward, Wisconsin. Brett was able to be with us because it was the year he was getting healthy after becoming cancer-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment